You may use Google Docs a lot or perhaps only occasionally. Microsoft Word might still be your go-to when creating a new document. Word is a great program, but if you’re looking for the best way to collaborate with coworkers and clients, you can’t beat Google Docs.
Google Docs is Efficient and Productive for Marketers
A few of the most important reasons for Google Docs’ popularity with marketers include:
- The ability to integrate with marketing project management systems you depend on, such as Teamwork and DoInbound
- A completely browser-based platform, accessible from anywhere
- Realtime saving so work isn’t lost
- Free use for everyone with a Google account, including your clients and associates
Here are the five best Google Docs hacks we’ve found for marketers, whether you’re new to the game or a veteran. They’ll help simplify your life and improve your effectiveness.
1. Tag Collaborators for More Effective Communication
Improve information flow on your documents, slides and worksheets by tagging people when you want their input or need their approval.
- Click “Share”
- Select the preferences for individuals (find, view, edit or comment)
- When you need to be sure a certain section is read or approved by someone, highlight it and insert a comment in the right margin, tagging the individual by typing “+” or “@” in the comment box with the person’s email. After regular use, a contact list will populate.
2. Work Offline
When you’re on the road, you’re not always connected to the internet. With Google Docs, you can work wherever you happen to be.
- You must use Chrome.
- To make sure this feature is available, always sign in to your Google account before going offline.
- Go to Google Drive home Settings and turn on Offline Sync
- Don’t forget to save frequently (use the shortcut: ⌘S) since autosave and sync don’t work offline. An editable version will be saved on your computer.
- Your revised document will sync when you’re online again.
3. Researching and Writing is Easier Than Ever
The Research Tool makes it possible to research, write and make notes without leaving your document. This can definitely streamline the creative process by increasing your effectiveness and productivity with a couple clicks.
- Research a specific word or topic by right clicking on the word and selecting Research
- Alternatively, click on Research in the Tools dropdown menu
Topics will appear based on your text to date. If needed, type in the research topic in the search bar. The dropdown menu allows you to specify the type of content you’re looking for, such as quotes, tables, scholar or images.
4. You Can Still Access Prior Versions
One of the great things about Google Docs is the ability to access Revision History. If unwanted changes are made and you want to go back to an earlier version, it’s only a click away. That great idea that was discarded is still there.
- Go to File, View Revision History
- You’ll see previous changes and who made them in a window on the right side
- Clicking the “More detailed revisions” button will give you more info on the change author and date
- You can restore an older version
5. Keep Projects on Track
Google Sheets can be used as an internal interactive project management tool to keep everyone on the same page. Google Sheets lets you create a living collaborative Excel doc that is maintained by everyone on the team. Instead of dealing with multiple versions of some project management software, your Sheet is always up-to-date.
The more you use Google Docs, the more you’ll love it. Marketing’s all about communication and so is Google Docs.
The BXP Creative team understands the importance of communication between the team and with our clients. It’s what we’ve based our business on.
Contact us today to learn more about how our creative team can help your agency with your projects. Our work behind the scenes will save you time and money, reducing some of the stress in your life.